Sunday 30 September 2012

Flaxbread

I have been making flaxbread since just a couple weeks after I started keto. I love the stuff, and it is very easy to make. My BF and I go through a batch of the bread probably every week or every other week. It's great for sandwiches, but our favourite time to enjoy it is with our breakfast. It's perfect for toasting, and tastes great with a bit of peanut butter! I first made flaxbread using this recipe but I have since adjusted it several times, finally coming out with the recipe I'm about to share with you. The bread that comes from this recipe is thinner and lighter (my preference) than the bread that comes from the linked recipe. If you like thick bread by all means try the other recipe, too!

A nice warm piece of flaxbread and a bit of whipped peanut butter. Mmm!
Servings: 12 slices
Nutritional Information: (per slice) 93 calories, 5g of carbs & 4g of fiber (1g net carbs), 7g of fat, 2g of protein 

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes

Your Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of ground flaxseed (flaxmeal)
  • 1 tablespoon of baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 tablespoon of choice sweetener - optional (I use splenda)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup of water
Your Tools:
  • A medium or large mixing bowl
  • A flat baking sheet (15x11)
  • A fork, whisk, or hand mixer
The Directions: 

Step 1 - 
Since this is so quick and easy, you'll want to preheat your oven and prep your pan first. Preheat your oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper as you would if you were just using a baking sheet. I used Pam Baking Spray.
Step 2 -
In your bowl, mix the dry ingredients and then add all the wet ingredients and stir until completely blended. You can use a fork, whisk, or a hand mixer for this task.
Step 3 -
Immediately dump your batter into your lined (and greased) baking sheet and spread the batter from edge to edge. Try to make it even, if you can. Bake your bread for 17-20 minutes.  

Step 4 -
Immediately after removing the bread from the oven you'll want to make sure all the edges of the bread are free from the sides of the pan and carefully flip the baking sheet upside down on a cooling rack or cutting board (or something). To do this, I typically put the rack or board on top of the baking sheet hold the two together, then flip (don't forget to wear your oven mitts!). Remove the parchment paper and discard it.
I didn't unstick the edges!
Step 5 -
This step can be done whenever you feel like it, but I do it right after flipping and removing the paper. Slice your bread into 12 roughly even slices! Let the bread cool completely before storing. Refrigeration is optional, though it will keep much longer if you do refrigerate it. If you live somewhere hot and humid, refrigeration is not optional - you must keep it cooled!
 Finished Product!
And there you go, that's my recipe for flaxbread!

xo,
Jennifer


2 comments:

  1. This is really good! We made some tonight (we didn't have the right size pan and ended up with only 6 slices, but still) and tasted it. Tastes like a whole grain bread but somehow better. It toasted up great and with just a little butter I was in heaven. Cannot wait to have it with some over easy eggs. That's when I miss bread. Need something to dip into the yolk. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, glad you enjoyed it! You will certainly enjoy it with eggs, I'm sure. I know I do! I always miss dipping bread in the yolk, too.

    ReplyDelete